Saturday, April 19, 2014

Five Years From Now

"No, dear brothers and sisters,
I have not achieved it, but I focus
on this one thing: Forgetting the past
and looking forward to what lies ahead."
Philippians 3:13

I think a lot. I think about many different things that seem strange to the world...or maybe not, but I am one of the few who vocalize those random thoughts. I think about food, I think about getting my eyebrows and nails done, I think about how it feels like a car wash in my mouth when I brush my teeth, I think about what I think about(anybody else?), I think about what other people might think of me, and I think a lot about who I will be in 5 years.

Not all of these thoughts are important, but I always questioned where I would be in five years from the current time of question. I finally realized that I can totally determine were I'm at in five years. The decisions I choose today are what make tomorrow closer or further from where I want to be. If I think about where I want to be in five short years, I can't even give specifics to myself, but I know for a fact that wherever I'm at, I want it to be helping people. Not just helping people temporarily, but helping them to get back on their feet(metaphorically) to provide for themselves. I want to see people with broken hearts find hope in Jesus, and those who are broken physically, to find healing in the Savior. I want my choices today to cause that dream to happen...not for my sake, but for the sake of the Gospel.

Going to Africa is such a privilege and honor for me because of this! I don't have to wait five years to take Jesus around the world, I can start now! As of now, I have $300 raised, and still have $1200 to go. If I can be completely honest with you, I have always had a hard time fundraising. I am uncomfortable asking for money. The only reason I do so now is because this whole trip far above me. It's not just sending me over to Africa to have a good experience. This is planting seeds for the community of Mganduzweni for years and years to come to be pursued by Jesus Christ. It's not just a group of natives there, it is a community of individual human beings that God created in his image! I am more than willing to work hard to earn this money. Here are a few things that I am offering: mowing, cleaning, making bracelets, babysitting, and, even though there are not many ways to use these, I sing, play acoustic guitar and piano if there are any events that you know need some tunes!

On this day, more than 2000 years ago, Jesus was laying in a tomb with Satan thinking he had the victory. *SPOILER ALERT*: Jesus comes to life tomorrow and steals back the WIN for good!!! Happy Easter everyone! Enjoy hanging with your families and celebrating the death and life that Jesus went through for YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment